Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2019

A Reality Check SOL19 #1

Last night, I was talking to my husband about starting a blog for the Slice of Life challenge and how i'm stressed because I can't think of a name for it. I met with a friend earlier in the day and came up with a temporary one but wasn't feeling it. He starts tossing ideas around and within four attempts Living and Loving Literacy was born. A sense of relief came over me as this step allowed me to fully embrace the challenge and focus on my writing. I was also feeling proud because I think this name is a true reflection of my beliefs as an educator when it comes to literacy (insert eye roll as some egotistical thoughts started floating into my head). 

We head to bed shortly after but not before going through the nightly routines- turning lights off, letting the dog out and making sure all the doors are locked. I pass the bathroom (which happens to be across from my daughter's room) where my husband comes lurking out of the dark whispering a creepy "hey" and scaring the crap out of me. In my house this is a regular occurrence and had I not been distracted with said egotistical thoughts, I may have been able to see it coming. So what do I do? Jump a little and get mad. Totally logical, right?

Laughing at me he says, "Why are you mad right now?" 

"Because you know how easily scaredable I am and I could have screamed and woke up Bridget." 

"Scaredable? Ok, Living and Loving Literacy."

And we both laughed. 

Touché, Rich. Touché. 

Thanks for always being my reality check.


14 comments:

  1. Welcome to this awesome community of writers. So glad that naming your blog has freed you up and given you the courage to write. I love the word scardeable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! Happy to join this challenge and community.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the challenge! You're going to have such a great time. Glad you found a name. :) It's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE BEST first slice. I know it was SCARABLE to put yourself out there like this, but you did it just the right way. Can't wait to read more from you, love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for encouraging me!!! And for supporting :-)

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a great name! Well done! I have also been nervous to post. SCAREDABLE is a perfect name for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trina! Hopefully we will both overcome our fear!

      Delete
  5. I love this post. I could hear you "laughing" throughout the post. I hope you can see the BIG smile on my face over the word SCAREABLE. Isn't English marvelous? Can't wait to keep reading. Thanks. BTW. GREAT title, too - nice job Rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LeeAnne. All the support from you guys makes it not as scary. I see your smile and take that as a compliment!!

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your piece, and like how you went from the intellectual concerns of finding just the right name to capture your blog, to the mundane of going to bed without waking up your daughter. Nice warm laugh at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran! Took a while to figure out what I wanted me focus to be so I appreciate your recognizing that.

      Delete
  7. Six years ago I started a blog without thinking about the name. When faced with the text box that asked for the name I balked, then thought quickly. I knew I wanted to write about children's lit and maybe my basset hounds...and voilà..Books and Bassets was born. In retrospect, I wished I'd planned ahead like you didMy blog's name might sound that lofty, but it reflects two big loves of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes our first response tends to be the best! Sure, lofty may be appealing but Books and Bassets is welcoming and friendly. I love your title and am looking forward to reading some of your posts!

      Delete