Pages

Monday, March 4, 2019

SOL19 #4


Parent/toddler gymnastics classes are amazing and yet super awkward at times. Seeing my daughter run around freely, exploring her physical capabilities with climbing, jumping, running and even interacting with other kids is really quite something. She has a huge smile on her face from start to finish and it never fails to lead into a really great, long nap. 

It’s also a time when you become super aware of other people’s silent judgements. Apparently there was a rule that I didn't know about in our gymnastics class - until today. My husband usually takes my daughter but with it being a holiday, I got to go. So it’s not surprising I wasn’t aware that the kids weren’t supposed to run down the (what seems like) mile long trampoline, let alone at full speed. They can hop down it at full speed, but not run. 

Well here comes my daughter, doing just that.  And she was having so much fun. But the two moms at the end of the trampoline didn’t think it was as fun and every time she reached the end, they avoided eye contact, pursed their lips and moved their kids. At this point I am still unaware of the rule and thought they were just being total sticks in the mud (TO PUT IT NICELY). The last time she ran down they made sure to turn and say to their own kids right,  “No, no little Johnnie. We don’t run down the trampoline.” And then finally made eye contact with me.


Uhh....your kid wasn’t running. Mine was. And instead of being passive aggressive how about you just clue me in to the rule? Help a fellow toddler mom out. I mean it’s clear that I am not a regular attending class parent and these two are. 

Thankfully, my daughter moved on to the next thing and as she is doing so I walk up to my friend that’s in this class to tell her about the trampoline situation. She starts laughing and then *gasp* tells me the rule. We laugh together. Imagine that. 

The two moms are still, in my eyes, sticks in the mud. 





4 comments:

  1. Hilarious, it makes you wonder who is the child and who is the parent!? At least you and your daughter had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those mom judgements...sigh...

    I loved reading about your gymnastic adventure with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like it doesn't matter what you do, there are always mom judgments coming from somewhere. Glad you could laugh about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW RUDE! You handled it perfectly. At least you took away a positive and got to spend some quality time with Bridget.

    ReplyDelete